Saturday 9 November 2013

Into The Catacombs pt 2

So, we were in the catacombs now. You ever talk to someone who you know is smarter than you and just listening to them talk about anything makes you feel stupid and insignificant? Well whether or not you have I have and being in The Catacombs made me feel that way the whole time. The place was also really dusty. Every step or movement kicked up a cloud of dust so thick it would momentarily block our view like a solid wall being placed directly in front of us. As well the simple dust in the air had an almost physical presence as well. It was like moving through a really thin stream of water. Or... More like a spiderweb I guess. Speaking of spiders... The Bone Spiders. The Bone Spiders are basically horrific arachnid like creatures made out of bone and flesh. They tend to the catacombs and also protect it from intruders. Intruders like us. Every once in a while we would come across some sort of stone archway in the passages. It was while passing under one of these archways we ran into one of the creatures. I was coming out the other side when it swung down on it's back legs from the top of the other side of the arch and grabbed me. It then swung back up holding me onto the ceiling it's fangs hovering over my face. It's fangs were interesting. Like human fingerbones elongated and sharpened to a pair of very nasty points that were mere inches from my eyes. I dropped my gun but luckily Trinity grabbed it and fired at the creature. Her aim was terrible. She fired three shots. Two hit empty ceiling but the last blew through one of the creatures legs and it lost balance and fell from the ceiling. It leg go of me when it hit the ground and I rolled a way while Trinity emptied the rest of the clip into the creature. This didn't work. The creature was very much still alive and mostly unharmed and began to right itself. Trinity seemed to come to the same conclusion I did as she bounded past the creature grabbed my hand and we began to run.

We ran for a while though I doubt we could ever really lose the thing we did stop eventually. The passages, at least this branch of passages, seemed to end at a large door. The door was iron and just as dusty and ancient as the rest of the place. Also I feel I need to take a moment here to point out something. Trinity refuses to kill people and doesn't even like to harm them but was totally fine with emptying an entire clip in a Bone Spider. Guess she just doesn't like killing "Humans". Monsters are totally ok to kill. I guess it technically makes sense but still seems somehow hypocritical.

Right on with the story. The room beyond the door seemed to be some sort of index room. There was a computer in here. Strangely enough despite computers being relatively new technology at least compared to the rest of the Catacombs it still gave off the same ancient presence as the rest of the catacombs. It seemed likely that this would be the best way to find the information I sought since searching the infinite catacombs forever or until we died was probably not a great choice. I went to the computer and it immediately turned on. It was open to what appeared to be a floor plan of The Catacombs. At least that's what it said it was. The floorplan seemed to just be a picture of a human brain. I clicked on another page reading search and searched up what I was looking for. "The Origin of The Path of Black Leaves". At this moment alarm bells began going off.

"Alarms? In a place this old?" I questioned.

"Well they have an ancient computer why not ancient alarm systems?" Trinity answered.

I couldn't leave yet though so I turned back to the computer hoping I could finish in time. It didn't take long. The third thing that popped up seemed to be exactly what I needed. More than I needed in fact. It was a book called "Everything you could ever know about Fear Domains." It was by some girl named Beth Lamnnid. I clicked on it and suddenly a light started glowing on the floor heading out through another door. I made sure Trinity was paying attention then ran to follow it. The alarms were still blaring but while we occasionally saw Bone Spiders down other passages they never seemed to bother us ourselves. The light led us to a shelf and while Trinity stood guard I began searching the shelf. I found the book and pulled it from the shelf then I felt something. I turned to see Trinity standing directly in front of an old man in a robe the color of old parchment. His hair was grey and his eyes were covered by a pair of thick sunglasses. He was holding a massive book in one hand and seemed to be watching us both. It was The Blind Man. The owner of The Catacombs.

"Why are you intruding upon my Demesnes Tall One?" he said in a curious tone. I was too scared at the time to be confused and, before I could register confusion, Trinity suddenly grabbed my hand and we ran into the wall.

Sorry I promise last little bit will be tomorrow. I'm still a bit confused and tired from what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment